Columbia SC Online Community for Families Columbia SC Family Events and Happenings Columbia SC Parks Columbia SC Movie Theaters and Listings Columbia Attractions and Things to Do Columbia SC Family Friendly Restaurants Columbia South Carolina Schools Richland and Lexington County Library Columbia SC Business Directory Columbia SC babysitter resources Columbia Family Newsletter

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Consignment Events Are Coming....
carolinagirl7112
post Feb 15 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Active Members
User's local time:
Jun 29 2007, 05:31 PM
Member No.: 622
Zip Code: 29016

March is filled with consignment events in and around Columbia. I am really excited. I LOVE to shop at these sales! The thrill of the hunt is in my blood....and great deals too!

Here is a list:

Tickled Twice Sale - March 1 -4, 2007

Mother's of Twins Club Sale - March 10, 2007

Belles & Beaus Sale - March 15 - 17, 2007

Tot Trade - March 18 - 20, 2007
Tot Trade Too - March 25 - 28, 2007

I have been to all of these sales and must say that all were quite nice. My personal favorite is Belles & Beaus. The people are Very Nice there and the prices seem to be the most reasonable. I live in Blythewood so it is a bit of a drive for me but it is Always worth it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KarenH
post Feb 15 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #2

Forum Addict

User's local time:
Member No.: 849
Zip Code: 29229

That is such good info-thank you!

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Feb 15 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
User's local time:
No Information
Member No.: 1
Zip Code: 29063

Great list!! Thanks for posting them. I love the consignment sales.

+Quote Post
KarenH
post Feb 18 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Forum Addict

User's local time:

Hi,

I haven't been to any of these sales yet, but I am going to check out Tot Trade. I also want to consign some items- about 25 things- mostly scooters, shorts, & sundresses. I've priced tham all between $3 and $6. Is this reasonable? I have no idea what to expect, and only a few of them are brand names.

Karen

+Quote Post
carolinagirl7112
post Feb 18 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #5

User's local time:
Member No.: 622
Zip Code: 29016

QUOTE(KarenH @ Feb 18 2007, 04:39 PM) *
Hi,

I haven't been to any of these sales yet, but I am going to check out Tot Trade. I also want to consign some items- about 25 things- mostly scooters, shorts, & sundresses. I've priced tham all between $3 and $6. Is this reasonable? I have no idea what to expect, and only a few of them are brand names.

Karen

I think the prices are reasonable. I think many people look for name brands however, I look for quality and fashion trends.I have a friend that sells at a couple of the sales and she says her sets of clothing sell better than her single items. I wish you well in the sale.

+Quote Post
KarenH
post Feb 18 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Forum Addict

User's local time:

Yeah- I look for quality and good deals as well over name brands. As for sets, unfortunately most the tops get stained. Last summer my daughter had alot of separates anyway. And the sundresses were pretty gently worn. My son seems to pick his three favorite things and then tries to wear them over and over and over and over.....end result he has alot of unworn items by the end of the season! (kids!)

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Feb 19 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Administrator

User's local time:
No Information

Your prices definitely sound reasonable, Karen. My sister and I always get a giggle over (what seems to be the same consigners every time) the people who seem to want close to full price for their used clothes.

I also can't figure out the No Discount people who put Donate on their tags. Don't discount it... but if it doesn't sell, give it away... I mean $1.50 is still better than nothing!

+Quote Post
KarenH
post Feb 19 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #8

Forum Addict

User's local time:

Lol- I did that! This is the first time I have ever consigned anything- and I still feel guilty that I'm not just giving the items to someone I know. Last fall I gave alot of my daughter's things to one of my Soldiers. I feel partly obligated, because growing up I had 3 sisters and we received our fair share of hand-me-downs from cousins, etc- my Dad was enlisted Navy so you can imagine the stress buying clothes for 4 kids was financially! Also, even though I am not wealthy, another part of me feels blessed for being able to provide new clothes for my children now. So again I feel like I should give what I can when I can in thanks.

I guess that was my rationale- I figured the items I consign are marked reasonably for what they are, and I don't mind if they are all given to charity in the end. If I'm selling a 'like new' pair of boys shorts for $3 and someone wants to be THAT cheap to wait a few days, go back to the sale, risk them being gone, etc to save a buck fifty....well that is just borderline greedy (!) Myself I would rather go in the beginning so I can find the quality items, and pay what the consignor is asking (if reasonable). It's already saving money vs buying new things anyway.

What I didn't consider is that there are probably alot of people who go at the end of the sale only, specifically to find the bargain discounted items. I guess I could change my consignment preferences to 'discount' and 'donate'.

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Feb 19 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #9

Administrator

User's local time:
No Information

That makes sense- LOL- I always thought the greedy people were the ones who overpriced their things, refused to discount them and then didn't want to be bothered to come pick them back up!

I never thought of buying during the discount times as being "greedy", just being a smart shopper! I'm pretty frugal by nature anyway (growing up in a family of 6 kids will do that to ya) and since I buy a lot of boys' clothes (yuk!) if I can get a few pairs of jeans for $2.50 instead of $5, that's money available for something else the kids want or need. There isn't much style to boy's clothes... I just buy the least worn items.

I almost never go to the sales until the last days- there's always so much left to choose from and as a single mom buying for 3 kids, I'm not as picky about labels and name brands as I am about the look and condition of the items. Some of the cutest things my kids have had came from Target!

The other thing I've noticed (and remember, I'm a last day shopper) is that some people are offended by the No Discount on the tag and won't even consider those items. Personally, I will still buy a ND item on the last day if I like it but when it's all said and done, what's left on the racks are the ND tags and the faded stuff they shouldn't have accepted in the first place! (Some sales are better than others about weeding out worn items.) (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I also am aware that sometimes there is so much left at the end of the sale, the charities can't store it all and some of if it still goes into the landfill. To me, it's better to get $1.50 and for someone else to get some use out of the item than to have it go be stored in a closet or thrown away.

For the people who DO want premium prices for their clothes (just in general) they are better off putting their items in consignment stores, and not the sales.

For the people who are looking for those name brand, designer-label items, I'd strongly suggest volunteering at the sale so you get first dibs on the good stuff!

+Quote Post
KarenH
post Feb 20 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #10

Forum Addict

User's local time:

Well-said! Okay you've convinced me! (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

+Quote Post
juergens_m
post Feb 20 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #11

User's local time:
Member No.: 922
Zip Code: 29210

I am interested in the sales, but not sure where they are at?
melissa J

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Feb 21 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #12

Administrator

User's local time:
No Information

They are listed in the events section with links to their sites... let me find them here... better yet, let me update the consignment sale page and post the link. Will do shortly!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

About Columbia 4 Kids .com Advertise to Columbia SC Families Contact Us at Columbia 4 Kids Columbia SC Kids Site Terms of Use Link to Columbia4Kids Columbia SC Family Advertisers Work with Us- Columbia 4 kids
Help Us Keep Columbia4Kids up to date! Please email us with corrections or add missing events to the Event Calendar. We make every effort to keep the information on this site up to date and accurate, but you should always call to confirm information found on Columbia4kids.com.

Please DO NOT contact us for reservations, park permissions, or more detailed information than is listed here- contact the business, park, or event directly. We cannot respond to requests for more information other than to direct you to the information already posted. You are welcome to post requests for more information on the forum.
Click Here to View all Columbia Area Events
Click Here to Add Your Event
- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2007 - 04:31 PM