Columbia SC Online Community for Families Columbia SC Family Events and Happenings Columbia SC Parks Columbia SC Movie Theaters and Listings Columbia Attractions and Things to Do Columbia SC Family Friendly Restaurants Columbia South Carolina Schools Richland and Lexington County Library Columbia SC Business Directory Columbia SC babysitter resources Columbia Family Newsletter

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cell Phones For Kids?, Not sure what I think of the idea
Columbia4Kids
post Sep 12 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
User's local time:
No Information
Member No.: 1
Zip Code: 29063

This article on Cell Phones for kids got me thinking.

Mostly, it got me thinking I'd pay $100 for something my child would damage or lose!

But, if your child is more responsible than mine, there are some neat products coming out:

Enfora's $99 TicTalk lets parents authorize certain numbers to call in and dial out; parents can also control how and when the phone is used.

TicTalk looks and functions more like a walkie-talkie than a standard cell phone. It lacks a keypad and is equipped with a monochrome LCD screen showing caller ID, the time, and remaining battery life. To place a call, kids navigate an on-screen menu to choose from a list of authorized phone numbers.

Although TicTalk is the latest product in this category of cell phones, it isn't the first. Firefly Mobile announced a kid-friendly handset in March and began shipping the product shortly after. Like TicTalk, Firefly is very compact and lacks a number pad; instead, it has a screen and a few control buttons.

Wherify's Wherifone GPS Locator Phone, a GPS-enabled handset that lets users call preassigned numbers, as well as allows parents to track their kids' whereabouts.

It seems that conventional mobile handset manufacturers want a piece of the phones-for-kids action, too. Rumors of an LG Electronics-branded handset that looks very similar to Firefly's phone are circulating at various blog sites, including Engadget, MobileBurn, Phone Scoop, and SlashPhone.

For more details read the link above!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Justme
post Oct 7 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
User's local time:
Jun 29 2007, 05:32 PM
Member No.: 469

I have three children, the youngest is 7 and he is still way too young for this. My oldest is 15 then my daughter is 13. My husband is employed by a well know carrier here in town but we are not on an employee plan. Our two older kids have cell phones. We put them on a plan that with a two year agreement the phone was FREE. They have 800 minutes for use between 7 am and 7pm. Then after 7, they can chat all they like. We monitor who they are speaking with by requesting a detailed bill. It tells incoming and outgoing calls! Therefore we build a level of trust. If we check, and we do not like what we find, we take the phone. Simple. The reason they think they have the phone is because they think they need it. The REAL reason is, it is a LEASH! They can go to a friends, we can check on them. If we take them somewhere and there is a problem, they have a way to call right away! There was an incident where my son wanted to come home and he was not allowed to call us! THAT will NEVER EVER happen again! So we do it for safety, security and lastly, fun for them. We look at cell phones for kids as tools! Who cares if they lose it, damage it whatever, the phone is replaceable your children are not!

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Oct 7 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
User's local time:
No Information
Member No.: 1

LOL- that is one use for it!

Welcome to the forum, Justme! (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif)

+Quote Post
ImagineThat
post Oct 14 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #4

Forum Addict

Group: Moderator
User's local time:
Jun 29 2007, 05:32 PM
Member No.: 408
Zip Code: 29223

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif) Justme, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have your bases covered. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Wish we'd had that option when my kids were growing up. Anything that we can do to help our children to become independent and still lower parental worries is a godsend!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

About Columbia 4 Kids .com Advertise to Columbia SC Families Contact Us at Columbia 4 Kids Columbia SC Kids Site Terms of Use Link to Columbia4Kids Columbia SC Family Advertisers Work with Us- Columbia 4 kids
Help Us Keep Columbia4Kids up to date! Please email us with corrections or add missing events to the Event Calendar. We make every effort to keep the information on this site up to date and accurate, but you should always call to confirm information found on Columbia4kids.com.

Please DO NOT contact us for reservations, park permissions, or more detailed information than is listed here- contact the business, park, or event directly. We cannot respond to requests for more information other than to direct you to the information already posted. You are welcome to post requests for more information on the forum.
Click Here to View all Columbia Area Events
Click Here to Add Your Event
- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2007 - 04:32 PM