Columbia SC Online Community for Families Columbia SC Family Events and Happenings Columbia SC Parks Columbia SC Movie Theaters and Listings Columbia Attractions and Things to Do Columbia SC Family Friendly Restaurants Columbia South Carolina Schools Richland and Lexington County Library Columbia SC Business Directory Columbia SC babysitter resources Columbia Family Newsletter

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kids And Cooking
Do your children cook?
Do your children cook?
Do sandwiches count? [ 1 ] ** [16.67%]
They bake cookies and cupcakes. [ 2 ] ** [33.33%]
They cook breakfast items. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Ummm...they can nuke it! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Only under strict supervision. [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
No, but they have the pizza place on speed dial! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
ImagineThat
post Oct 3 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Forum Addict

Group: Moderator
User's local time:
Jun 29 2007, 05:31 PM
Member No.: 408
Zip Code: 29223

How old were you when you first cooked something? I think I was about 12. I had to bake a cake as part of the requirements for a Girl Scout badge. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It was a mix and I had to "glue" the crumbly cake together with icing. LOL!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Columbia4Kids
post Oct 3 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
User's local time:
No Information
Member No.: 1
Zip Code: 29063

I always liked cooking when I was little- I probably started at 9 or 10. My aunt used to laugh at my blue cakes... when it came to icing, I always liked blue!

My oldest (9) loves to cook and can sort of make spagetti (with a lot of supervision.) He has an Easy Bake oven (to the horror of my sister... a PINK oven... my mom put dinosaur stickers on it to make it "manly") and he loves to play with it whenver I'm willing to deal with the mess.

+Quote Post
ImagineThat
post Oct 3 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Forum Addict

User's local time:

Maybe he'll be another Emeril! (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And, hey! Having another cook in the house is a great thing especially if you're tired or sick. I was always grateful for my bedside meals when I was sick. AND, everyone, sons included, need to know how to take care of themselves. There's no guarantee that sons will marry someone who'll be able to cook, that they'll find a wife, or that they'll be able to afford a cook. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/think.gif)

+Quote Post
anya
post Oct 4 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Active Members
User's local time:
Member No.: 351
Zip Code: 29072

I guess i can cook a little or more but i hate it! Standing hours and hours in the kitchen and then in 5-10 minutes it is all gone and just the clean up left. lol
But I do it for the money saving, healthier eating and for my son who is really allergic to almost everything so I even have to knead the pizza dough myself. He is 2 years old now but definitly make him learn how to cook. I wish I had a husband who knows how to cook.... I am lucky if I have the coffee cooked for me. lolol

+Quote Post
ImagineThat
post Oct 4 2005, 08:10 AM
Post #5

Forum Addict

User's local time:

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif) Hi, anya! Does your son help you roll the dough out? My granddaughter is 19 months old. I made up some sugar cookie dough for us to cut cookie shapes. Unfortunately, she was really too tired when we attempted it. I'll try again another time, but you just gave me an idea. She could also help me roll and cut out biscuits! My children always loved getting the "scrappies",leftover biscuit dough. Mmmm...LOL! I like it,too.

Sorry to hear about your son's allergies. Are they life-time allergies or will he outgrow them? My son developed food allergies when he was about 11 years old. We did the no wheat, egg or milk routine for a year. Then, we gradually re-introduced the no-no foods. He's a grown man now and never had anymore problems.

Hey! (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/lightbulb.gif) Would you start a thread about food allergies? I think it affects more children than we often realize. I'd love to hear what kinds of recipes and ingredients you use. Do you do your son's meals separately or does the whole family eat the allergy-free meals?

+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 4 2005, 08:31 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

User's local time:
Jun 29 2007, 04:31 PM
Member No.: 152
Zip Code: 29063

When I was old enough, my Mom taught me how to make scrambled eggs and toast. This has proved invaluable because I turned out to be a bad cook with most things, but I can make a good breakfast. Also the Easy Mac (mac and cheese) is something that kids can stir, and my son loves it.

+Quote Post
CristinaEM
post Oct 4 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #7

Forum Addict

User's local time:
Member No.: 417

My oldest daughter, 6, loves to cook. She has always loved to help me in the kitchen, so I enrolled her in cooking classes that her school offered starting with PreK last year. They make lots of fun goodies - mostly just learning how to mix and spread and assemble, but it's laying the foundation. The class also teaches them manners while eating. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

I have always loved to cook and always helped my mom - I remember cooking spaghetti at the age of 5. I even started making all of Thanksgiving dinner by myself when I was 13. And I've done it every year since!

We try to do at least one fun cooking project a week, in addition to her class. I remember when she was 3, I made a ton of Christmas cookies and left my husband with my stepson and her to decorate them while I did some Christmas shopping. I don't think I stayed out long enough (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/eek.gif) - the kitchen was a disaster area when I got home. They had a wonderful time and even cleaned up.

Now my youngest, 2, is starting to get involved - she loves to hold the spoon and mix. My husband's goal is to have one of them be a chef and the other the cleaner, then we won't have to do anything!!

+Quote Post
anya
post Oct 11 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

User's local time:
Member No.: 351
Zip Code: 29072

Oh yeah ImagineThat!

He helps trust me! on his own way lol. He is coverd with flour. Yes he is a big helper.
He was born with this allergies and they say he might outgrow them. Age 5 is a big change in the immune system so we will see.... He has already outgrown the wheat and corn but still has allergies to soy, milk, egg, peanut and meats! Almost all protein! yes he is a vegetarian. Fortunatelly he does not know yet what he is missing. Some of those allergies very serious (anaphylaxis) some 'just' rash. His diet is very limited but not just because his allergies but being a picky eater (he is 2 years old!).
Oh I can talk and talk about this issues. And yes there are a lot of kids with allergies and the medical science knows very little about this illnes.

+Quote Post
ImagineThat
post Oct 13 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Forum Addict

User's local time:

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif) anya! An allergy to soy is a new one for me. Can your son drink goat's milk? I know that used to be a common substitution for children allergic to cow's milk.

I bet you've gotten very creative in the kitchen knowing that you have to avoid certain foods. What are your son's favorite meals?

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif) CristinaEM! WoW! Your school offers cooking classes for the young children. That's wonderful! I really don't think that you can start too early to introduce life skills to children. There's an adage, "Strike while the iron is hot". The same holds true of children and teaching. While the children are young, everything is so new and fascinating to them and they still have a strong desire to emmulate or please parents and teachers, is the best time for introducing new skills and concepts. (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) (IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/smart.gif)

(IMG:/forum/style_emoticons/default/hi.gif) Renee! Well, you know what they say, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. " (IMG:http://people.Delphiforums.com/Sunshine210/nod.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

About Columbia 4 Kids .com Advertise to Columbia SC Families Contact Us at Columbia 4 Kids Columbia SC Kids Site Terms of Use Link to Columbia4Kids Columbia SC Family Advertisers Work with Us- Columbia 4 kids
Help Us Keep Columbia4Kids up to date! Please email us with corrections or add missing events to the Event Calendar. We make every effort to keep the information on this site up to date and accurate, but you should always call to confirm information found on Columbia4kids.com.

Please DO NOT contact us for reservations, park permissions, or more detailed information than is listed here- contact the business, park, or event directly. We cannot respond to requests for more information other than to direct you to the information already posted. You are welcome to post requests for more information on the forum.
Click Here to View all Columbia Area Events
Click Here to Add Your Event
- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2007 - 04:31 PM